The Duchy Health Charity has opened up sailing adventures to more of Cornwall’s disabled children with a £3,000 grant to the Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter Trust.
They’ll be getting the chance to sail with the crew aboard the beautifully restored classic pilot cutter “Cornubia” which operates in Plymouth Sound and the Tamar, but which will be coming to Falmouth in June and Fowey in July.
The Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter Trust aims to offer young disabled people a challenge resulting in:
• The self reliance and confidence to overcome fear and step outside the comfort zone,
• A wider perspective of the marine environment and maritime activities.
During a short (4 hour) sailing trip in Plymouth Sound or the Estuaries, they experience and learn about:
• Using natural forces to propel and control the boat,
• The importance of such craft in the development of local and national maritime industry and culture,
• The weather and its effects,
• The physical geography of Plymouth Sound and Estuaries,
• The human geography of Plymouth Sound and Estuaries (including buoys and other navigational aids),
• Marine life in Plymouth Sound and Estuaries,
• Maritime activity in Plymouth Sound and Estuaries,
• The work opportunities offered in the maritime sector.
To help them record and understand their experience they get an illustrated guide (not unlike the I Spy books), and a certificate on completion of the voyage.
The number of children per voyage depends on the degree of their disability and the number of helpers required to accompany them. The total number would not exceed 8.
The crew consists of a master and 2 mates who work the vessel and assist in the learning experience.
“Cornubia” was built by J.Slade and Sons, Fowey, in 1911 for pilot Morrice of Barry for pilotage service in the Bristol Channel. T. Nielsen & Company of Gloucester rebuilt her, finishing in 2010.
Vital Statistics: length 52 feet, waterline length 44 feet, beam 13 feet 7 inches, draft 7 feet 6 inches, displacement 31 tons.
Parents or carers wishing to apply for a trip aboard the Cornubia on behalf of a child should contact Tony on 01503 272575 to arrange dates.
Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter Trust, Tony Winter, 01503 272575
Duchy Health Charity, Tim Guy 07768 633000 / 01872 240260
Louise Midgley Communications, Louis Midgley, 01326 316678 / 07831 696093, firstname.lastname@example.org